Some great practical stuff from Tim Keller as he chats with John Piper about the patterns of life he adopts as he seeks to stay close to God. Not to be slavishly copied, but excellent advice nonetheless. Start watching from 11.35 secs.
1. Read through the Psalms every month-using their immense variety of forms of prayer.
2. Figure out a personal 'rule' of life
3. Use Matthew Henry's Pray the Bible edited by Ligon Duncan. Available online here or buy the book. Tim say he uses it and takes about two months to get through it, covering every type of prayer.
4. The use of Thomas Cranmer's collects. The best version can be obtained here.
5. Don Carson's two volume For the love of God
6. Have a rhythm of spiritual life with a variety of prayer and reading.
He concludes, 'there's no doubt that the best defence is offence and the best defence against temptation is to keep your affections for God up. So I don't want anything to come in-between me and God. Ten minute quiet times three times per week just won't do it'.
It's always a bit chancy to give someone a book. A little like recommending a restaurant. Will others like it? Will the service be as go...
Most of us have heard of Westboro Baptist Church and their truly awful behaviour towards gay people. They are not alone in giving Christiani...
Just love this song. It first penetrated my male emotional armour in the year 2000 when my dear brother John was dying. It spoke to me in ...
I've just so enjoyed reading The Penguin Lessons by Tim Michell. It really is a lovely read. Whilst travelling to Argentina to teach i...