Thursday, 2 December 2010
I've not seen it all before
Nicotine in tobacco is a toxic alkaloid called solanine (the same toxin as occurs in deadly nightshade and the green of potatoes exposed to the sun). Ingesting nicotine chemical results in a build up of the neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. At lowish doses it causes nausea, vomiting and palpitations and at higher dosages may cause delirium, paralysis and death! Apparently ingesting 5 cigarettes or half a cigar is enough to kill an adult!
Fortunately my patient recovered apart from a few hours of vomiting. I've lots to learn yet.
No, not that side! But thank God got through surgery ok yesterday. And thanks to all for love support and prayer.
So my wee book, The Art of General Practice on soft skills for GPs is finally published today. The publishers bumpf on the back is mostly ...
Blimey am I that old? So 13th April 1978 I finally qualified as a doctor. It had been a long journey. My first inkling of wanting to be ...
As a doctor I've long be interested in what it is like to be on the other side of the desk. In other words, what is it like to be a pati...